Wade Law Group
offices Throughout california Call for a location near you

Being Served With A Lawsuit

Getting served court papers is not something to take lightly. If you have been served with a summons and a lawsuit in California, you will only have 30 days to respond to the lawsuit.  Your response to the lawsuit has to be submitted in a certain format. You will not be able to simply submit a letter or make a call to the other attorney or court.

If you fail to submit a timely response, the Plaintiff in the lawsuit will be able to submit documentation to the court to have the court enter a default judgment against you.  If a default judgment is entered against you, the case will end and you will be deemed the loser. Consequently, even if you have a legitimate defense to the lawsuit, you will never be permitted to submit your defense to the Court unless you file a motion to set aside the entry of default.  Therefore, it is extremely important that after you are served with a lawsuit, to timely seek out representation from a competent business litigation and/or civil litigation attorney for representation.

You should sit down with your litigation attorney and go over the allegations in the lawsuit so your litigation attorney can advise you on the best course of action to take.  If your time to respond to the lawsuit is about to expire, your litigation attorney can request an extension from the Plaintiff to give you and your attorney additional time to plan a response to the lawsuit.

In order to assist your litigation attorney in providing representation, you should write out in your own words, your response to the factual allegations in the complaint.  If you do not have time to write out your response to the factual allegations in the complaint by the time of your initial visit with your civil litigation attorney, you should do it as soon after your meeting with your attorney as possible so your attorney will have all of the facts necessary to plan your official response to the lawsuit.

If you need help in deciding how to respond to a lawsuit after you have been served, contact an experienced and accomplished civil litigation attorney, such as the ones working at Wade Law Group. We have a proven track record of success and have won awards in the area of client satisfaction and as a top performing attorney.  

Things to Remember:

  1. Only 30 days to respond after getting served court papers.

  2. Proper formatting in your response is critical.

  3. Failure to submit a properly formatted response can result in a default judgment against you.

  4. A default judgment can only be altered by filing a motion to set the previous outcome aside.

  5. Legal representation is paramount in avoiding these dire consequences.

  6. A litigation attorney can request an extension if your time to respond is about to expire.

  7. Your response and your attorney work together to achieve a positive outcome.

LinkedIn: Amiel Wade

Getting Served Court Papers

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call 408-842-1688 or toll free at 855-656-7590 or send a confidential email to request a case evaluation. Office locations located all throughout the state.

Get In Touch With Us Today

As litigation attorneys in San Jose, we have handled complex cases and obtained real results for individuals throughout the Bay Area and beyond.

Whether you are a business owner who needs help resolving a breach of contract dispute or a parent looking for skillful guidance regarding a custody dispute, let a skilled, successful team of attorneys help you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Locations

San Jose Office
84 West Santa Clara Street
Suite 750
San Jose, CA 95113

Toll Free: 855-656-7590
Map & Directions

Mountain View Office
800 West El Camino Real
Suite 180
Mountain View, California 94040

Toll Free: 855-656-7590
Map & Directions

San Mateo Office
951 Mariners Island Blvd
Suite 300
San Mateo, California 94404

Toll Free: 855-656-7590
Map & Directions

Gilroy Office
8080 Santa Teresa
Suite 240
Gilroy, California 95020

Toll Free: 855-656-7590
Map & Directions

Oakland Office
1901 Harrison Street
Suite 1100
Oakland, California 94612

Toll Free: 855-656-7590
Map & Directions

Alameda Office
1101 Marina Village Parkway
Suite 201
Alameda, California 94501

Toll Free: 855-656-7590
Map & Directions

San Francisco Office
One Market, Spear Tower
36th Floor
San Francisco, California 94105

Toll Free: 855-656-7590
Map & Directions

San Francisco Office
1700 Montgomery Street
1st Floor
San Francisco, California 94111

Toll Free: 855-656-7590
Map & Directions

Alameda County Satellite Offices:
San Francisco County Satellite Offices:
Email Us For A Response

Visit Our Social Media Sites

Bold labels are required.